Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: 416 heritage

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    416 heritage

    I'm having trouble figuring out the magic search words to find this info, so I guess I'll have to ask.......

    I have an Altec woofer labeled with an aluminum tag, on the old style magnet cover, as a 416-8A. It's built on the new style 16" frame. I suppose someone could have switched magnet covers, but this is straight from a theatre (Studio 28) that closed about a month ago......I'm probbaly the first one to touch the insides of the cabinet in years, plus the paint matches. Any who how.....I thought the 416's with the new frames were 416B's?

    I'll have to post pictures of the cabinet...... something heavy, like possibly a JBL cabinet was dropped on this 825/828 cabinet, as the top corners are pretty crunched. However, that's not what I want to show...... I want to show the 3" symmetrical hole burned into the side of it. How a symmetrical hole was burned all the way through a 3/4" piece of plywood, yet didn't burn down the theatre is beyond me.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 416 heritage

    -8As were in production during the transition, so early ones were small frame, later were large. Lots of both out there. Same with 515Bs, maybe others.

    Lazerama
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 416 heritage

    Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    ...maybe others...

    Also the 416-xZ, 420A, 422-xZ, 423Z, 421A, and 421-xH, per the '75 reference. I've seen/own/owned both versions of all but the 420.

    This can cause a fair amount of confusion when it comes to NOS recone kits and cone numbers from the mid 70s, as Altec assigned a different kit number to each version, even though in many (most/all?) cases the only difference was the gasket.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 416 heritage

    The 416-8A that I have appears to be from 1975...... I always thought the A was a much earlier driver.

    Here are the pictures of the cabinet

    14

    15

    16

    17

    The two pictures directly above are of the same corner. The other corner isn't quite as damaged. One of the bottom corners is a bit dented, and the top panel, if the cabinet was sitting up correctly, is split where at the driver mounting board meets it underneath.

    That's a McCauly 6242 (I think) that I installed for the fun of it, along with a Cobreflex on top. The McCauley seemed a bit boomy at higher volumes.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  5. #5
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 416 heritage

    Now that there IS weird.

    Kinda looks like one of the "projects" I undertook at a very young age in Dad's junkpile.

    Yeah, torches, guns, and power tools... none were off limits when I was a kid. The sooner you learned to use 'em, the sooner you could be a productive member of the family.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 416 heritage

    Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    Now that there IS weird.
    Somehow it must have gotten very hot, yet deprived of oxygen at the same time..... that's the best I can come up with any way.

    The Cobreflex sounds horrible..... well It's probably the drivers (EV DC 300B) fault. I can hear it distorting when trying to reproduce high frequencies. I also have to adjust the crossover whenever I change the volume.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.